Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Some reflections


The days are racing along. My work, family and new two hobbies (photoblogging and the sailing boat) require their attention. I must be aware of priorities and luckily I manage to. I’m also starting to feel that I’m in my sixties and not in my forties anymore. Cycling to and fro my work is a daily enjoyment but I see more bottoms of overtaking fellow-cyclists than I did before. When I visited my brothers and sisters during a birthday party I felt a member of an aged people club, and I was the oldest of them! They were showing each other photos of their grandchildren: very cute but there is a big chance I’ll never experience how it is to be grandfather and I have also to regret that I cannot produce energy and effort to keep track of the developments of all my grand-nephews and –nieces, being aware that they are of great importance for my brothers and sisters. At the same time I felt blessed with so big a family. Nowadays youngsters have only a few brothers and/or sisters, my son has none, and one’s brother or sister can be of great emotional help in times of problems. Not because of the expertise of their advice, but just because someone of your “roots” is listening and takes interest in you, no therapist or pastor can give this. On the other hand, just because of the same reason I think there can be big conflicts and clashes between them, as well as complete ignoring each other. The bond of being of the same roots is very strong, but has to compete with other bonds people feel such as having the same view on life, having the same kind of interests and preferences, etc. and brothers and sisters can differ enormously in these things. In our culture family bonds are often broken, just like there are so many divorces, which one should regret. But it’s only one side of the coin. I wouldn’t like to swap with cultures in which families are al-mighty, and can be felt as a prison. Anyway, our family keeps “the middle of the road”.
Since our parents passed away our mentally handicapped brother (46) is more or less the “centre of the family” keeping everybody together for a great deal, although he himself isn’t aware of it.
I really discovered photographing. In my thirties I used to have a dark room and also photographed a lot, but digital photography gives an extra dimension and is so easy and convenient. No rigmarole with chemicals and stuff.

I’m also bothering about things from the newspapers, it’s a kind of feeling yourself powerless and privileged. Poetin and Bush quarreling about anti-rocket installations in Europe (the idea! Europe being threatened by Iranese rockets, thank you says Poetin, for the reason you give me to profile Russia as a superpower), the rainforests being devastated (when I ride my bicycle across the little bridge across the ditch I ride over tropical wood planks), the arrogance of “religious” fundamentalists with whom no discussion or talk is possible because they feel they have always right because God lays His words in their mouths, that’s why they do so much damage to the rest of the world instead of visiting a psychiatrist, etc.

The photoblog gives me much confort, when I see how photographers from Iran and USA complement each other with their products of beauty, like a Utopia becoming real. Almost every picture is taken and published with love and dedication and deserves a compliment. Some of them are of a breathtaking beauty (Kaveh, Mehdi, among others), others are candid and spontaneous, it’s really fun.

See you soon.

2 comments:

Robert said...

We are all living much longer these days Erik so you have a good chance of being a Grandfather especially if you ride a bicycle and notice the bottoms passing you!

(Forgive my English sense of humour)

Erik said...

I wonder what noticing bottoms has to do with staying young, except for maybe noticing female bottoms :-) But I don't see women biking, only when I arrive in Leeuwarden you see women, they don't bike from town to town daily, within the same town it's OK for them. Maybe it has something to do with womens'lib, because more and more men (such as me) let their wives do the daily driving to their work, especially when both husband and wife have a job. This reminds me of really knighthood: men do the heavy work and women use the vehicle.