Monday, September 03, 2007

A day on the water and with family


Yesterday we went sailing; my boat never went so fast, aroud 2 PM the windforce wasn't 4 but 5-6 and on top of that the main sail lacked a reef possibility (which I'm going to change this winter). At the end of July we had also this kind of wind, but then I improvised a reef by binding the hind-part of the sail to its bottom bar ("giek" I don't know the English word), but although it worked, it didn't satisfy because of the loose sack which it causes at the sail bottom. I don't trust the boat 100% because of its old rigging - I heard too many stories about broken masts etc. - so I only dared sail with hoisted sails with the wind blowing from behind. Janine, Menno, my brother Peter and the dog were with me on the boat and Janine and Peter (who don't know much about sailing) encouraged me not to put on my improvised reef (why do we need that? - this is not a storm!). After the trip, when we were at home Janine told me that I should be more bossy and a real captain so when people wanted other things than I had in mind, I should overrule them and make my word law. That day she got familiar with the forces that a boat has to endure at windforce 5-6 with full sails. I was on the other side happy to got familiar with how the boat behaves under these circumstances, nothing was damaged but I was sure it would have been very difficult and probably impossible without severe damage, to sail with the wind from 45 degrees in front of us(in Dutch: "sharply to the wind"). We went that fast that after having dropped the sails and started the engine I thought at first that the engine didn't work because of the difference in speed with the sailing movement. Under more normal circumstances we could sail the whole route until the home marine, but this route leads us through rather narrow canals, and with that speed this could have been dangerous because there were more boats and collisions are not easy to avoid then. Apart from this: the big number of motor boats nowadays annoys me sometimes because these people often lack knowledge of (1) traffic rules on the water and (2) sailing, so one cannot rely on traffic rules because you don't know if the motor skipper knows them and I most of them are not familiar with the possibilities and restrictions of a boat with sails, so they simply keep their course and take priority also if they haven't. I suspect that many of them think that a sailing boat is more "primitive" and never have priority!


The late afternoon we spent at my brother's new house in a village in the Eastern part of the province, and we admired the way he has (re)furbished it. He has a son (17) and two daughters (I think 14 and 12), he and his wife working and still studying so their life is one big agenda without holes. He shares the photo-hobby with me. They went to the Czech Republic on holidays (formerly part of Csechoslowakia, what a shame that this small country has been split up in two still smaller parts!) and he showed me a number of pictures he made over there. Two of them you can see on my photoblog (4 and 5 September).


As for my thoughts on the subject I wrote about the two previous times: I don't think we have tot take this too dramatically. It's true that many Christians and Liberals in the West on the one hand, and many Muslims in the East on the other hand, mistrust each other. It's true that many Muslims adhere more strongly to family- and respect-values than Westerners do (translating respect by adherence to tradition values and not to achievement values per se) and that in Western eyes there's not much difference in their perception of a Biblical desert-society and a rural Muslim society nowadays, but it's not true that there are no liberal-thinking Muslims. Just as is the case with Christians, what people hear, read and see are the loud preachers and the Truth-owners, not the silent spiritually-inspired or the hard-working and modest contribuants to prosperity and welfare. Preaching that people who have another belief must be fought, or must be converted by all means, means that one is scared: there simply MUST be one concrete and tangible truth with all rules and regulations attached to it, otherwise earth (and the preacher / converter!) will end in hell. I don't hesitate to say that the Liberal truth is also one of many truths, although I love the heritage of Goethe, Spinoza and Kant.


This is a view, a vision, and one cannot do more than living according to this view as much as possible, although emotions often challenge you. I hope and trust that eventually Reason will win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Erik, although I can not understand your hard sentences in english but I really like your main ideas. You know I can understand only simple sentences, not that long comprehentions. But as a muslim this is so interesting for me you know much about us. What a shame I don't know enough about christians and their religious. But I think all of us are Humans and we can communicate each other without any limitations like religious and political situations. Oh!!! Damn my poor english knowledge! I can not convey my opinions well! Ok! I'll try it later. Thank you very much dear Erik.
Soodabeh, Yazd, Iran.

Erik said...

Thank you for your comment and visiting my textblog, Soodabeh! Let us support each other in the Good and find Peace for everybody.I find your country fascinating, for Westerners it is so romantic and it has so rich history. Where else can you find trees that old? I read that in Iran they had windmills when the Dutch (they were named otherwise that time) were still hunting and fishing. I believe you conveyed your opinion very well, "convey" is not a word for the beginning English student. God (Allah) bless you and your family.