Monday, May 21, 2007

Boat owner vicissitudes II








Photo 1: the seller explaining the attachment of the boom to the mast
Photo 2: the happy and proud new owner
Photo 3: Menno testing the front hatch

It is Friday morning, an obligatory day off between Ascension Day and the weekend. My brother Peter and I are surprised to discover that the seller of the boat has already put the mast on the boat (we expected that we had to do that); he had his son with him and he explained to us a few more details. After we finished we went home to lunch because our appointment with the engine deliverer was at two PM at the boat. This 2 PM became 3.15 PM because of traffic jams and unexpected busyness (nice weather, many people with holidays). Anyway, it took another hour to install the engine (unexpected complications with the electronic starter, the engine was with manual starting), so we could leave with the boat from her place where she had been lying during the last 4 weeks at 4.15 PM, too late for reaching the home harbor, 4.5 hours of sailing further: my brother had to be at home in the evening, so we decided to take a night stop at the very small village of “Gerkesklooster”. Janine drove to and from home to collect sleeping bags and stuff. She herself and my brother left the place, and I and my son who was excited about it, stayed at the boat. The other day I did some shopping and Janine arrived. We would leave heading for the home harbor in Earnewald. I started the engine but after 30 seconds, just before take-off, it stopped: I forgot to push back the choke button. It refused service for 45 minutes. Then I called the deliverer who explained me what to do (very normal things but it was 17 years ago I last started an outboard engine) and everything was perfect again.
Windforce was 4 – 5 Beaufort, blowing right against us, and half of the trip would be over open water. On board there were also 2 bicycles because we had to leave the car in Gerkesklooster. From Earnewald we would cycle to our home in Hurdegaryp (Menno on the luggage rack of my bike). Then I would take the train to Gerkesklooster (also with my bike in the train with me – 2 tickets please, because Gerkesklooster is 8 kilomers from its nearest train station). There I would attach the bike to the car (special bicycle rack, fantastic!) and drive home by car. Complicated, but it worked.

So it happened totally according plan.

The other day (Sunday) we went to the boat again to erect the mast which had been downward during the trip yesterday to avoid bridge delay and also because the wind was against us. We also repaired and changed some minor details (on board of a sailing boat almost nothing is “minor” however) and cleaned it. At last everything was ready to sail and the boat spic-and span, but… the sailors were too tired and decided to sail next week-end.


1 comment:

Evie said...

Nice to see you're enjoying your new toy.