Thursday, December 21, 2006

my first posting

I recently visited an old friend, he was just reading "Bubbles" ("Blasen" in its original language German) by Peter Sloterdijk and told me about it. The book appeared to be linked to the old question whether there is Something that drives the human species to new developments, or that everything (including the human species) is dependent on accidental happenings within the framework of the laws of nature. Sloterdijk sees humanity as a kind of foam: the bubbles are the (groups of) individuals, stuck together by a gluing binding force as I understood. But I have to read the book yet, it seems to be permeated with references and metaphors derived from old myths. For this Sloterdijk is heavily criticised by fellow-philosophers who adhere to a more "logical" or "rational" way of reasoning, but that makes Sloterdijk the more interesting for me.
Anyway, my fixed telephone is out of order and the phone company will charge me for lack of service I'm sure. I have to write a pile of New Year cards, and do some shopping. Back to the world again. See you.

No comments: