Friday, December 22, 2006

Tell me a story

Every now and then, I will publish a story I wrote for our school magazine, the CHNtimes (www.chn.nl). Underneath the first one.

I had a grandmother I had some problem with. I was raised in a Roman Catholic environment and our family followed the Roman Catholic Church rules. But she was, as we used to say in those days, “nothing”, which meant that she didn’t belong to any church. As a 10 year old boy I asked my mother how it could be that grandmother would never go to heaven: she didn’t pray and go to church, she never got any sacrament, but she was the greatest and most lovely woman I knew (apart from my mother, of course). Now that I am in my fifties, I gradually get able to combine these “contradictory” facts, by means of three books I recently read.

Last year I published in the CHNkrant an article about a book that gave evidence that Jesus was, in fact, Julius Caesar (book A, see below). This sounds as an irrational blasphemy, but when you read the book then you must admit that an overwhelming avalanche of evidence demonstrated the similarities between names, people, situations, symbols, stories etc. etc. on the one hand of Caesar’s life and on the other hand of Jesus’ life. About Caesar much eyewitness materials have been written. About Jesus, outside the gospels, there is nothing of that kind, so it was clear to the author that Jesus had been modelled according to Julius Caesar.

A second book, that I read but not wrote about, is book B (see below). In this book the author gives evidence of the finding that Jesus probably existed a long time before the time that the gospels place Him in. (approximately 100 B.C.) His story doesn’t clash with the “Jesus-is-Caesar” theory. A very important clue is, that the letters of Paul have been written (long) before the four gospels of Luke, Matthew, Marc and John have been written. From childhood on, I lived in the supposition that Paul evangelised after Jesus’ life, as it had been recorded by the gospel writers. The study of written materials and the content of Paul’s letters both proved that these letters are of far earlier date than the gospels. So, for instance, Paul doesn’t refer to any important gospel event other than Jesus’ death and resurrection, whereas Jesus spoke many wise words and did many miracles.

So these are the historical facts as they appear to us by historical research and content analysis of the sources. Much is open to uncertainty, and many stories seem to be otherwise than the gospels and Christian religion tell us. I found this a big problem, until I read a third book about Jesus: book C (see below).

The author of this book is a recognised scholar of the philosophical school of Turgenjev and Ouspensky. He makes it clear that there are two kinds of “truths” that are connected to each other: the historical, observable truth, and the “higher truth” by which the observable facts are sustained. We modern Westerners do it the other way around: something is only truth if it is sustained by observable facts. People who lived around 50 A.D. were used to tell each other stories in order to reveal this higher truth to each other. That’s also why Jesus answered questions of his pupils and critics with a parable, and not with an explanation or with concrete guidelines. Historical dates are here totally irrelevant, what is relevant is what people experience when they are told a story. Their knowledge about natural processes confines itself to how agricultural plants are grown, how wine is made, fish is caught, etc. There are indications, that the stories in the gospels are intended to make Christianity accessible for ordinary people, by “wrapping the higher truth” in concrete events and stories. During history, the stories were used by the churches to “define” the truth, by considering the wrapping equally essential as the content. The author shows, however, that every paragraph, every sentence in the gospels has a specific meaning, revealing valuable indications about the relationship of man with God (our Father), about the higher truth wrapped in the stories, comparisons, parables, and miracles. He also shows that many concrete materials (stone, wine, water, etc.) and situations have meanings that were clear to people from that time, but not to us anymore.

The whole gospel could have been re-written in explanatory words, without any parable or miracle. It would get at least four times thicker than it is now, and give less information, instead of more. Information, that we can grasp by hearing the stories, and not by listening to explanations and interpretations. Again, for a good understanding we must know the meaning that the used materials, symbols and situations had for people of that time. It shows again, that God provided us with a capability to understand, but we have neglected this capability for centuries by adhering too much to the factual truth of the gospels, which was not their message, as the author shows. Jesus said: “He that has ears to hear, let him hear!” (Luke 8, 8-10). The book of Nicoll was a great help to understand why my grandmother would “go to heaven” indeed, the other two books helped in understanding this.

Book A: Francesco Carotta: War Jesus Caesar? Goldmann, München, 1999 (Also in Dutch, but not in English available)
Book B: Alvar Ellegard: Jesus 100 years B.C., Century, London, 1999; in Dutch: Jezus 100 jaar voor Chr., Tirion, Baarn, z.j.
Book C: Maurice Nicoll: The New Man – an interpretation of some parables and miracles of Christ, Eureka, Utrecht, 1999 (reprint from 1959); In Dutch: “De nieuwe Mens”, Miranda, Den Haag, 1985.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have "Maurice Nicoll" for a Google Alert, so I was directed to your blog. Something that caught my eye in your "About Me" section: my father (American) was part of the food drops in Holland late in World War II. He flew a B-17. I hope Europeans don't hate Americans or America so much that they have been told it was Germans who gave them food and not Americans! (Of course, maybe both is true to some extent, but Americans DID make rather famous food deliveries from bombers in Holland late in the War...)

Erik said...

I mentioned the German soldier just to show that between the Nazis there were also good people who were forced to fight, especially in the last year of the war. By no means people in Holland would appreciate the Nazis more than the Americans! Every year the Americans and the food droppings are memorized in memorial meetings and in TV programs. The German soldier did his work illegally, and risked severe punshment by his superiors by bringing food from the German military kitchen to Dutch civilians. I will adjust my profile to make this clearer.

Anonymous said...

Being of German ancestry I can sympathize with Americans and the German who risked his life... But it caught my eye because in my family my father is known for being a bomber pilot who only ever dropped food out of a bomber (he was too young to have been in the main part of the war, so by the time he started flying they were only doing humanitarian things)...

An interesting story too is once he got lost (while flying) in the war off the coast of England and on his radio he heard a voice of an American which by chance happened to be his brother who was in France, on the ground, just a radio operator for ground forces, not connected to the air wing at all. What are the odds of that?

Anyway, Google Alerts are fun. You should set some up. They take you to places on the internet you'd never find without them... Great pictures, by the way! It looks like you work in a typical and picaresque European town...

Anonymous said...

Make that "picturesque" . . .

Anonymous said...

Regarding your post itself: I've found that Plutarch's Lives describe, using the various historical heroes, patterns of internal development. I.e. the external facts of each famous Greek and Roman life reflects patterns and stages and events of internal development. This is why Shakespeare could draw on a life of Plutarch - like Coriolanus - for his unique drama. So to see similar patterns in Julius Ceasar's life with regard to Jesus doesn't surprise me. But I would bet you could see also the same similar things if you compare Jesus' life with Coriolanus or any number of the other lives in Plutarch. (I'm not suggesting the person who wrote the book you reference was merely using Plutarch's life of Julius Caesar, but I'm just making a more general point.)

A striking thing about Jesus' life too is how it mirrors the history of the nation of the Israelites (the exodus from Egypt (Matt 2:19-20), the crossing of the Red Sea (Matt 3:13-17), the temptations in the wilderness (Matt 4:1-11), the arrival at Mt. Sinai to receive the law (Matt 5:1-2).

(The New Testament is in the Old Testament hidden; and the Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed.)

ps- I'm a little bit of a different Fourth Way type (Fourth Way, i.e. Ouspensky, Gurdjieff, Nicoll) in that I've come to see the foundation of Fourth Way ideas, practices, and goals in very hardcore, orthodox biblical doctrine. So, for instance, Calvinism doesn't scare me. I learn from it and admire it's accepting what the Bible says and not watering anything down or negotiating any of it down to the demands of what we would like to think it should say.

(I do think 'time' is a wildcard in it all that explains such things as your grandmother and what happens to unbelievers at death, i.e. it doesn't mean they go to hell, but that is a big subject to get into...)

Many Work (i.e. Fourth Way) ideas are the same hard doctrine found in the doctrines of grace (TULIP). I know the Netherlands have a long history of Calvinism and many of the great theologians (Witsius, a Brakel, Teellinck, Bavinck, Louis Berkhof was born in the Netherlands too, these are some that come to mind).

Maurice Nicoll's Commentaries on the teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky are worth their weight in gold if you are interested in following that line of teaching further. He is very on-the-mark with what is called 'the Work.' His book called Living Time is also very interesting...

Anonymous said...

>Book A: Francesco Carotta: War Jesus >Caesar? Goldmann, München, 1999 (Also in >Dutch, but not in English available)

Just wanted to let you know that Carotta's "Jesus was Caesar. On the Julian Origin of Christianity" has been--and still is--available for two years now.
For more info see: www.carotta.de

Andrew

Erik said...

Caroline, thank you very much for your recommendations. I also tend to believe that many stories and histories have the same pattern which gives a message to those who can see it. The same truth can be expressed in different believes. What I found very striking is what you said about what "we like to think what it should say". It's a complicated matter. Anyway I would like to follow the path you indicated, and more profane, also try Google Alert. About your father's experience, I don't think it was accidental, for me, there is no such thing as coincidence, coincidence is a human concept, one can defend the statement that "coincidence" is only provable if the alternative could also happen. But the alternative never occurred, and "could happen" is an empty concept. I find your father's experience, well let's call it a little "wonder". It's 24 December now and Jesus' birth will soon be celebrated. I wish you a good Christmas.

Erik said...

Dear Andrew,

Thank you I should have corrected my text which actually has been written a couple of years ago, I couldn't find an English translation on the Internet.

Evie said...

Even though I was raised in the evangelical Christian tradition, and still attend an evangelical church, I long ago gave up the idea of trying to figure out Heaven's Admissions Criteria.

Your grandmother's refusal to adhere to what are commonly regarded as proper religious practices and observances does not necessarily mark her as apostate or doomed. To be honest, I have no idea what your grandmother's eternal fate will be. How could I? I leave such judgments to God, who is the only Being who can truly know and understand the human heart.

Erik said...

Evie, I had these thoughts when I was about 7 years of age and heard about the only one Truth of the R.C. religion. E.g. that anybody who wasn't baptized would not go to heaven. Imagine the fear of a child thinking that his dear grandma would go to hell because she wasn't baptized properly. My grandma wasn't R.C. (my parents converted)but of course now I agree with you that a human cannot predict the eternal fate of oneself, let alone of someone else.