Monday, January 01, 2007

A visit to a museum




The day before yesterday we Janine and I visited an exhibition with a big number of paintings by the Finnish artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela (1865 - 1935). It took me rather great effort to fix his name in my memory, I never heard about him. Please go to Google and search him at the pictures site.
He painted in the style of his time, and I like his landscapes and portraits most. A pity that he spent so much time illustrating a Nordic myth, in which he often fell back to a picture-making style, but his contemporary Finnish audience must have loved it. I will certainly go back to it again, the exhibition is in the Groninger Museum and I can recommend everybody to pay a visit. For me it was a discovery, why don't we have painters like this anymore but only people who do things with incomprehensible videos and "conceptual art"-projects. I think art is dead, analogous to Nietzsche's famous "God is dead".

No comments: