Thursday, January 11, 2007

A poetic prayer

Prayer by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1813) from his poetry bundle “West-East Collection” (Westöstlicher Divan) One of the most beautiful poems I know – Goethe ends the chapter “Suleika” by it, and lets the reader guess (as usual with Goethe) whether this is a prayer, or one of the many love poems for Suleika in this chapter – thus melting love for the beloved with love for Allah, both stemming from one Divine Love.
First, the original version in German. Then, the English translation by Emily Ezust. As last my translation in Dutch, which is less literal than the English one because I wanted to preserve rime and rhythm. The poem is extremely sensitive to sound and rhythm of syllables, they contribute much to the atmosphere of the poem which brings you in a religious, meditative state of mind. Unfortunately this could not be achieved in the literal English translation, and can only partially be achieved in Dutch which is closer related to German than English is.

GERMAN:

In tausend Formen magst du dich verstecken,
Doch, Allerliebste, gleich erkenn ich dich;
Du magst mit Zauberschleiern dich bedecken,
Allgegenwärt'ge, gleich erkenn ich dich.

An der Zypresse reinstem jungem Streben,
Allschöngewachsne, gleich erkenn ich dich.
In des Kanales reinem Wellenleben,
Allschmeichelhafte, wohl erkenn ich dich.

Wenn steigend sich der Wasserstrahl entfaltet,
Allspielende, wie froh erkenn ich dich!
Wenn Wolke sich gestaltend umgestaltet,
Allmannigfaltge, dort erkenn ich dich.

An des geblümten Schleiers Wiesenteppich,
Allbuntbesternte, schön erkenn ich dich;
Und greift umher ein tausendarmger Eppich,
O Allumklammernde, da kenn ich dich.

Wenn am Gebirg der Morgen sich entzündet,
Gleich, Allerheiternde, begrüß ich dich,
Dann über mir der Himmel rein sich ründet,
Allherzerweiternde, dann atm' ich dich.

Was ich mit äußerm Sinn, mit innerm kenne,
Du Allbelehrende, kenn ich durch dich;
Und wenn ich Allahs Namenhundert nenne,
Mit jedem klingt ein Name nach für Dich.

ENGLISH:

In a thousand different forms you may hide yourself,
but all the same, my best-beloved, I will recognize you;
you may shroud yourself with magic veils
but all the same, my ubiquitous one, I will recognize you.

In the cypress's undefiled, youthful striving,
all the same, my ever-growing beauty, I will recognize you.
In the canal's pristine and lively ripples,
my ever-complimented one, well do I recognize you.

When a spurt of water ascends and unfolds,
my playful one, how merrily I will recognize you!
When a cloud forms itself into a new shape,
my many-splendoured one, I will recognize you there.

In the blossoming, misty carpet of meadow,
my colorful, starry one, I will recognize your beauty;
And if a thousand-armed ivy spreads out its grasp,
o, all-clasping one, I will know you there.

When the morning blazes up beside the mountains,
at once, my cheerful one, I will greet you;
then over me the sky will bend into a pure dome,
my ever-widening heart, then I will breathe you in.

What I know with my outer and inner senses,
I know through you, my teacher;
And when I call Allah's hundred names,
with every one, a name resounds for you.

(Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust, from The Lied and Art Song Texts Page: http://www.lieder.net/)

DUTCH:

In duizend vormen mag u mij verschijnen,
Mijn allerliefste, toch herken ik u.
En achter tovernevelen verdwijnen,
Altegenwoord'ge, toch herken ik u.

In 't jonge, pure streven der cypressen,
Alprachtiggroeiende, herken ik u.
En wil ik dorst met helder water lessen,
Alvleiendlokkende, herken ik u.

Als hoog en wijd de waterstraal opwaaiert,
Alspelende, verheugd herken ik u;
Als vorm na vorm opbouwt de wolkenbaaierd,
Almenigvoudige, herken ik u.

In 't bloemendal dat zich door weiden slin­gert,
Albontbesterde, schoon herken ik u.
Rankt om zich heen de duizendarm'ge wingerd,
O alomvattende, dan ken ik u.

Als hoge kammen 't daglicht op doen vlammen,
Dan, alophelderende, groet ik u,
En 'k boven mij 't azuur zich uit zie spannen,
Alhartverruimende, ik adem u.

Mijn zin kent uit- en innerlijk de dingen
Alonderwijzende, alleen door u.
En mag ik Allah's honderd namen zingen,
Zingt ied're naam een naam zacht na voor u.

(Translation copyright © by Erik K. Tjallinks)

1 comment:

Evie said...

What a beautiful prayer. Thanks for sharing it.