Sunday, March 18, 2007

Remarkable Swiss facade texts


In 2005 we were in Switzerland, in Unter-Engadin (or, in the language of the region: Engiadina Bassa), near the Swiss part of the Inn valley. It is not only a very beautiful area because of its mountains, but also very interesting because of its culture. The language is not the usual German, French or Italian, but the fourth official language in Switzerland, the “Reto-Roman”, or, as the speakers call it, “Ladina”, only spoken by a minority of the Swiss. In this language many traditional texts are painted on the walls of the picturesque village houses. It appears that “water” plays an important role in these paintings, expressed in symbols such as waves, water nymphs, fish, etc., stemming from pre-Christian (Celtic) times. I drew one of them in the village of Ftan (see picture) in charcoal and ink.

Tü char chantun prüva
Sün spuonda sulagliva
Per hoz sun qua da chà
E mi’orma viva.
Cur Dieu am clamarà
Part jent ad otra riva.

You lovely, faithful corner here
Located on a sunny slope,
I feel safe when I’m with you,
And my soul can live,
But when God will call me,
I will gladly leave to the other side.
For those who can read German (or Ladina, for it's in both languages) Ulrich Vital has made an extensive study of these symbols and writings on houses in South-East Switzerland, which he published in a book with many illustrations, vividly written (also for lay people): Volkstümliche Symbole und ihr Geheimnis. I purchased it when I was there.

No comments: