Thursday, March 01, 2007

Challenge in red



Yesterday I bought a new camera, yes!! A "simple" HP-Photosmart M425, but far better than the mobilephone. That evening I read the blog of Evie Sears and was challenged because she did an appeal to post photos with the theme "red", in connection to her "February Photo Challenge". So this morning I was glad that there was some sun, and I could make my forst photo with my new camera: two wooden shoes ("klompen")that once were used by my son but are too small now, fortunately they were red. Then (we have a "study week" which means that no lectures etc. are given at school) I made a walk with my dog, hoping to come across something red. But in February only cars, commercial signs and traffic signs are red; there were also some red berries but they remind too much to Christmas.



I came across an orginal traffic sign in our neighborhood, forbidding to leave dog shit on the grass, painted by a little girl. When, with some feeling of disappointment I entered my house I saw a calabash that my wife had put next to the front door, cutely arranged with some other, non-red species in a little vegetable case, just for decoration. (Men wouldn't get the idea, but appreciate it when women take those initiatives). Then I first tried indoors with some books that really mean something for me, then in the garden. It was rather dark with steady rain so the light wasn't very ideal, but my little camera had no problem with it.



So in my enthousiasm I post not one single photo but a couple of them, please excuse me when I'm too eager.

About the books: you see the Bible, illustrated with Rembrandt paintings and etches (I'm a big Rembrandt-fan) that Janine got from het father when she left her parental home. Then you see a book of Goethe, the edition in Dutch that I translated from German (Dichtung und Wahrheit, or Fabrication and Truth or, more literal but less meaningful: Poetry and Truth), then two hermetic books with Christian wisdom from pre-Christian times (roughly said), Corpus Hermeticum and Asclepius, then a book with Frisian folk stories (Hûndert pûn klûnsjes), and a book describing in novel-form the history of philosophy.








By the way, I also looked for a red duck, but couldn't find one. Afer consultation of my guide "European Birds" I learnt that red ducks don't exist in our part of the world :-).














5 comments:

Evie said...

Erik, thanks for the photos. I've posted a link and some comments on my blog. I think you're really going to enjoy that new camera. I'm looking forward to seeing many more photos from you.

Erik said...

Evie, thanks for your encouragement. My brothers Peter and Walter are also great photographers. I 'll try to persuade them to open a blog, too. It's fun to have some sort of challenge, competition or whatever, when looking for themes and subjects.

Barbara said...

Erik, I love your pictures. I love the vibrancy of red that you've captured in all of them. Glad to have you join us.

Chris said...

You translated Goethe? As if I, with my shaky command of English, should have anything to teach you.

Anyhow, sorry I haven't replied to your latest comments. I will do so soon, I promise (but from now on I will do so in the comments pages of my own blog, so any readers can see the conversation). Right now, though, I've working up a post on marriage that absolutely must be gotten out of my head. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it when I'm finished.

Chris said...

Oh, and I forgot to tell you: I loved the photos. The dog shit sign was especially amusing.